
What started out as a "normal" enough week for our family has ended in a bit of sadness. I was shopping with Colton and Megan last week and strapped Colton into the shopping cart. I was turned around looking at birthday cards and before I could even blink he had shimmied his way out of the seat belt and did a nose dive for the floor. He hit his head very hard and cried for about 10 minutes but then seemed ok. We monitored him for the next few days to make sure he wasn't showing any signs of a concussion but he was his normal crazy self so we didn't worry. The next night, Brian was washing Colton's hair and noticed a gigantic goose egg that covered the whole right side of his head...this picture does NOT do it justice. He looks like those aliens on the movie Mars Attacks...poor little guy! Anyway, the goose egg lingered for far too long so we asked a nurse in our ward for advice. She suggested that we take him in to the pediatrician the next day. I panicked when the doctor walked into the room the next day and immediately ordered a CT scan. We went next door to the hospital and they allowed me to wear a lead apron so I could talk and sing to him during the scan so he would hold still and not have to get sedated. They sent us right back to the doctor's office where I was told that Colton has a skull fracture with a small amount of bleeding in the brain. The doctor said the fracture was ok and would heal but the radiologist also found more disturbing information while doing the scan. Colton has enlarged ventricles in his brain and spinal fluid is gradually building up and putting pressure on his head. This condition will most likely require surgery to put a shunt in his head to relieve the pressure. We will see the neurologist next week to know for sure. So basically I bawled my eyes out in the Dr's office and freaked out to everyone I knew on the phone. I feel VERY guilty about him falling out of the shopping cart, but Brian and Dr. Webber both tell me it is a blessing in disguise. If he wouldn't have had the fall...we wouldn't have known about the underlying condition and been able to take care of it. We would probably not have found out until Colton had developmental problems later on. So...I guess it is a blessing but a heartache as well. Dear family and friends, please pray for my sweet baby. This is going to be a bumpy ride. Thank you for all the phone calls and emails of support. We love you and will keep you informed.
9 comments:
I'm glad you finally posted on this. We love you guys and will be praying for you.
Katie,
I had no idea. I'm so sorry! We will pray for you. We love you!
Stephanie
KATIE! You will get through this and DO NOT be hard on yourself. You are one of the best people I have ever known and the Lord will take care of you and your family!
Poor Colton! But don't feel so guilty! It was an accident, and pretty normal for him and all kids. I'm am so glad the Dr.'s found what they did, when they did. We'll pray for him!
Wow, it really is a blessing in disguise! Our prayers are with you! Keep us posted on his progress.
You will be in our prayers!
Ahh!! Poor little guy! Accidents like that happen all the time!! Jordyn has bruises all over her forehead. You will be in our prayers.
Katie, that is really scary. I'm so glad you were able to discover the more serious problem, but that bump looks pretty bad! Good luck during the next few weeks. I hope everything goes ok. And don't feel too bad about the shopping cart. When my #3 was a baby (in an infant seat) my two and half year old was hanging on the side of my shopping cart and pulled the cart over onto its side with a crash. But we didn't end up with a CT scan, so I guess it's not really the same. Sorry again.
I'm sorry that all that happened. Don't feel guilty, it could have been a lot worse. And you got to find out about Colton's other problem before it got too bad. Maybe you should sue the store for their "faulty" seatbelts. Really, I hope he gets better soon!
Post a Comment